Latest News

Fire Damage from an Extractor Fan

Article posted on 14 January 2016

We received an email from a landlord who was away for the Christmas and New Year holiday in Russia. It was regarding a property he owns in Great Yarmouth where there had been a fire in the bathroom.

The Cause of the Problem



The tenants in the property had recently had a ground floor wet room installed by the council by way of a disability grant. The extractor fan that was fitted caught fire. Luckily the tenants were home and shut the wet room door and dialled 999.

What We Did

When we surveyed the damage 2 days later the wet room was heavily contaminated with soot from the electrical fire. Immediately after the fire the letting agents had sent in an emergency electrician who had isolated the electric shower unit. As the wet room which also contained the WC was now unusable we decided to take immediate action to mitigate the claim otherwise the tenants would have to be re-housed.

We arranged for 2 of our technicians to attend the following day to clean and decontaminate the room, we also sent our electrician to check the wiring and recommission the shower. Following this the wet room was usable again, keeping the tenants happy and preventing the insurers having to pay loss of rent.

The Outcome

The following week we met the loss adjuster from the insurers and agreed the reinstatement schedule. Arrangements are now being made to send in our contractor to put the wet room back to its new condition.


Case Studies

View more Case Studies

Burst Water Tank
A burst 50 gallon water tank caused mains water to run through a 2 bedroom house undetected for 2 days.

Fire at Estate Agents
A fire caused by a faulty electrical socket in a kitchenette caused extensive smoke damage.

Water Damaged Property
Letting Agents in Hertford asked us to visit one of their landlords property which had been affected by water damage.

Bathroom Water Leak
We had a call from a distressed shop owner who had water coming through her ceiling when she opened up on a Saturday morning.

Testimonials

View more testimonials

I had cause to use National Home Repairs following a leaking roof that caused damage to ...

Mick Pullen

I just wanted to write and praise Martyn of National Home Repairs for his handling of ...

Lily Newton

I had cause to use National Home Repairs following a leaking roof that caused damage to ...

Mick Pullen