Latest News

Damage from a Neighbour's Fire

Article posted on 23 November 2015

We were contacted by a home owner in Ware whose property had been damaged due to a fire at their neighbour's house.

The Cause of the Problem

The neighbour, who was an elderly gentleman, living on his own, had fallen asleep leaving a chip pan on the stove. Luckily no one was injured in the fire but the fire had scorched the flank wall of our client's house and melted the UPVC cladding which covered the top half.

What We Did

Our client had already contacted his insurer who had appointed a loss adjuster but things seemed to be moving very slowly. We immediately produced a detailed reinstatement schedule with photographs and submitted it to the loss adjuster. The loss adjusted had already visited the site before our involvement and had received quotes for their own contractors. After discussions with the loss adjuster it was agreed that our quote was competitive and preferred by our client, mainly because he knew we would project manage the whole reinstatement.

The first job was to erect scaffolding and remove all the melted UPVC, we then appointed a specialist company who used an ice blasting technique to clean the brick work.

The Outcome

Our client was very pleased with the outcome, particularly as we project managed every stage and also liaised with his neighbours family.

Testimonial

Dear Martyn,

I just wanted to write to thank you for the way you have handled our claim. Before we called you we were beginning to wonder if the work would ever be agreed.

All the workmen you sent round, apart from doing an excellent job, were all very polite clean and tidy.
We will certainly recommend you to anyone else, should they unfortunately find themselves in a similar situation.

Please also pass on our thanks to Keith.

All the best

George


Case Studies

View more Case Studies

Burst Water Tank
A burst 50 gallon water tank caused mains water to run through a 2 bedroom house undetected for 2 days.

Fire at Estate Agents
A fire caused by a faulty electrical socket in a kitchenette caused extensive smoke damage.

Water Damaged Property
Letting Agents in Hertford asked us to visit one of their landlords property which had been affected by water damage.

Bathroom Water Leak
We had a call from a distressed shop owner who had water coming through her ceiling when she opened up on a Saturday morning.

Testimonials

View more testimonials

I just wanted to write and praise Martyn of National Home Repairs for his handling of ...

Lily Newton

I had cause to use National Home Repairs following a leaking roof that caused damage to ...

Mick Pullen

When the floods happened in Cumbria we were taken totally by surprise and the whole of ...

Joe Challenor